Easy Homemade Tartar Sauce Recipe
Tartar sauce…one of the best accompaniments for fish and chips, calamari, scampi, fish fritters, prawn cutlets, fish cakes, I could go on.
The creamy mayonnaise, combined with the zesty zing of fresh lemon pairs perfectly with fish and fried foods. Surprisingly, it tastes just as good with chicken, makes a great dip with crackers and goes well in salads or with roast vegetables.
After making the below tartar sauce recipe, I’m sure that you will never want to buy pre-made tartar sauce ever again.
Easy Homemade Tartar Sauce Recipe | Serves 2 | Easy | 20 Minutes
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ small shallot, finely diced
- 2 gherkins, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Combine the mayonnaise, shallot, gherkins, capers, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, flat-leaf parsley and dill in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust with more lemon juice, salt and pepper as necessary. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes prior to serving.
How long does tartar sauce last for?
Once made, tartar sauce can last for up to one week when covered and kept in the refrigerator.