How to Make the Best Ever Air Fryer Chips
Who can turn down a crispy chip? There’s something soothingly moreish and comforting about the humble potato when it’s crispy on the outside, yet fluffy in the inside. Roast potatoes are a favourite of mine, but chips make the perfect snack, side dish and top accompaniment for all types of meals.
Since buying my Phillips Air Fryer, I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how well the Air Fryer cooks chips. No more soggy chips or burnt chips for me. I can now look forward to crispy chips every time, which have little to no oil and are much healthier than chips deep-fried from the fish and chips shop (and taste even better!).
Find out how to make perfect chips in the air fryer – skip to recipe >
What can I eat chips with?
Some of my favourite meals with chips include:
- Steak, chips and salad
- Chicken Parmigiana, peas and chips
- Chicken Schnitzel and chips
- Fish and chips
- Chip butty (that’s chips in a sandwich)
- Burger and chips
- Pie and chips
- Chips with aioli
What to serve with Air Fryer chips?
I love my Air Fryer chips with a crack of black pepper and freshly ground sea salt sprinkled on top, served with mayonnaise, aioli or a creamy homemade dill sauce. I also love them with a spicy sauce like Sriracha or a good old tomato sauce on the side to dip into. Yum!
Why are my air fryer chips soggy?
Cooking chips in the air fryer should provide you with deliciously crispy chips. However, if your air fryer chips are coming out soggy there might be several reasons why. Firstly, if your potatoes are still wet before being placed into an air fryer, this can cause your potatoes not to crispen up. You can avoid this by thoroughly patting dry your potatoes before you place them in the air fryer.
Secondly, you might be putting in too many potato chips so they aren’t cooking evenly. You can have layers of potatoes, just make sure you give them a regular shake to toss them.
Are air fryer chips crispy?
Yes! As long as you cook them on a high heat for long enough and do not overcrowd them in the basket. Of course – don’t forget to give them a periodic shake to cook them evenly.
Air fryer chips from frozen good?
Rather than cooking your frozen chips in the oven, try them out in your air fryer for super crunchy chips. Personally, I think they have more crunch compared to regular oven cooking them.
Air fryer chips without oil any good?
Surprisingly yes! I cook my chips with no oil or less than a teaspoon of oil. This means that my chips are actually far healthier compared to being submerged in a deep fryer, yet still taste delicious! Plus, it’s extremely easy to clean up and you don’t have to worry about getting rid of all that oil and worry about your home smelling of grease.
Best air fryer chips temperature
I typically pre-heat my air fryer for 10 minutes on 200˚C before adding my chips. This allows the basket to get hot and creates an immediate sizzle when you add in the potatoes. I continue cooking my chips at 200˚C, whilst shaking them every so often. Once almost ready, feel free to turn the temperature down to low to keep them warm if you still have other food cooking or turn off completely and serve immediately. They should however still stay warm in the basket.
- 400g potatoes
- 1 tsp olive oil (optional)
- 1 tsp Paprika
- ¼ tsp Garlic Salt
- ¼ tsp Onion Salt
- Salt and pepper to season
- Chop the potatoes in half and then slice lengthways to get thin chips. Soak in a bowl of cold water for approx. 20 minutes to get rid of the starch.
- Turn on the Air Fryer to 200˚C and pre-heat for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, drain the potato chips in a colander and thoroughly pat dry with kitchen paper. Empty into a bowl and sprinkle with Smoked Paprika, Onion Salt, Garlic Salt, olive oil and salt and pepper and toss to combine.
- Transfer the chopped potato chips into the Air Fryer so they evenly line the basket and cook for 15 minutes.
- Shake the Air Fryer basket and cook again for another 15 minutes. Check on the chips to see if they are cooked and crispy. Cook for another 10 minutes or until crispy. Serve immediately.