Spicy Sweetcorn and Zucchini Fritters Recipe
If you’re looking for a quick and easy meal, or a change from your normal work lunch, then these Spicy Sweetcorn and Zucchini Fritters make the ideal dinner or lunchtime meal. You could even have them for brunch with bacon and eggs if you’re in-between meals.
My recipe makes approximately 10 Spicy Sweetcorn and Zucchini Fritters and can be served hot or cold. Plus, they’re super healthy too and if your children or partner don’t like their greens, then these fritters are a great way to hide the zucchini!
This is the first time I’ve made Spicy Sweetcorn and Zucchini Fritters and was amazed at how easy this recipe was. Initially inspired by a café in North Sydney that used to serve sweetcorn and zucchini fritters, I thought it was about time I try to make my own and see what the fuss is all about!
Makes 10 Spicy Sweetcorn and Zucchini Fritters
Time: 20 minutes preparation. 15 minutes cook.
- 1 Zucchini, ends chopped and grated
- 2 Corn on the cobs
- 1 Birds Eye Chilli
- Handful of chives, chopped
- 4-5 Spring onions, chopped
- 2 Eggs
- 1 ½ Cups self-raising flour
- 1 Cup of milk
- Olive oil, for shallow frying
- 5-10 drops of Tabasco Sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Place the 2 corn on the cobs into a pan of water and bring to the boil. Once tender, turn off and remove the corn from the pan. Set aside to cool down and then remove the kernels.
- Sift the flour into a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the milk and eggs into a separate jug and whisk together until combined. Pour this mixture over the flour and stir until smooth.
- Add the sweetcorn, zucchini, spring onions, chives and chilli and stir until well combined. For extra heat, add roughly 5 -10 drops of Tabasco Sauce.
- Add olive oil to a large, non-stick frying pan until the base is coated and heat over a medium heat until oil is hot. Using a large serving spoon, add a spoonful of mixture into the pan and pat to flatten into a circle shape. Cook each fritter for 3 to 4 minutes each side or until golden brown. Flip over using a spatula. Note: You can cook 3 to 4 fritters at a time, depending on your pan size.
- Transfer to a baking sheet on a wire rack to cool down. If eating warm, cover with tin foil to keep the fritters warm. Serve immediately.
Although my Spicy Sweetcorn and Zucchini Fritters can be eaten as they are with a dip of your choice (tzatziki, sour cream, blue cheese, or salsa), I like to eat my Spicy Sweetcorn and Zucchini Fritters with a dip and side salad. Why not try lettuce, baby tomatoes, cucumber, red capsicum, spring onions and carrot.
For a more substantial meal, why not add some protein including smoked salmon, chorizo or grilled chicken. To keep it vegetarian, then you could always poach some eggs to place on top of the fritters.
Smile and enjoy!